Elasticsearch 2.0.0 introduced a number of breaking changes. When I set out to install ES 2.0 to do some local testing, I found that the techniques that I had been using to set up virtual machines for local development (for instance, here) were no longer adequate. So I set out to discover what the “proper” method should be, and along the way I ran into a few problems. I’ll outline those issues here, hopefully saving some other people a little bit of trouble.
The instructions that follow will assume you are using OSX. It should be straightforward to adapt them to other operating systems, but I will not address those considerations here.